An exploding hoverboard is the likely cause of a Boston fire that inflicted $100,000 in damages

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission was investigating at least 57 reports of fires started by exploding hoverboards as of March.

Better make that 58.

The Boston Globe reports a Sunday fire on the third floor of a Boston apartment building was believed to be caused by an exploding hoverboard.

Advertisement

The Boston Fire Department pegged the damage of the blaze at about $100,000, which is a lot of money for a handle-less Segway that yanks you around at 15 miles-per-hour to be responsible for.

Of course, this is only the latest and most expensive fire blamed on hoverboards, which are rapidly being banned from public life. A few of the incidents from the last month include:

  • An exploding hoverboard sent shrapnel flying through a Sydney, Australia, home on April 21.
  • A Wayne, N.J., fire on April 23 was linked to charging hoverboard batteries.
  • Officials announced on April 17 that a Daly City, Calif., fire was started by a hoverboard spontaneously combusting.
  • A Volo, Ill., boy's hoverboard started sparking and smoking outside his home on April 25.
  • Kaudrica Hunter told the Sun-Sentinel "I wouldn't have thought it was a hoverboard with how loud it was" after one exploded in her Fort Lauderdale home April 15.
  • Three Orlando families were displaced due to damage from an April 7 hoverboard fire.
Advertisement

I think it's safe to say the verdict is in on whether or not it's safe to have a hoverboard in your home (it's not).

Share This Story