At the start of Ted Cruz's speech to the Republican National Convention on Wednesday, did something that you'd expect him to do. He mentioned GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump's name.
"I congratulate Donald Trump on winning the nomination last night," Cruz said.
That was the last time you would hear the words "Donald" or "Trump" out of Cruz's mouth for the rest of the evening.
Luckily, viewers didn't really need to hear Cruz talk about Trump that much. We've all heard him talk about Trump plenty in the past and he's used a lot of fun words and phrases to describe him. Words and phrases like "pathological liar," "utterly amoral," "a narcissist at a level I don't think this country's ever seen," and "a serial philanderer."
And that was just in one day. In fact, Ted Cruz clearly dislikes Donald Trump so much that he refused to endorse him in his RNC speech, leading to massive boos from the Cleveland crowd.
Here's some of the most vicious things Ted Cruz said about Donald Trump in the weeks and months before he agreed to speak at his political convention.
- There was the time, while denying a tabloid story about marital infidelity, that Cruz gave us the worst mental image of all time. "Donald Trump may be a rat but I have no desire to copulate with him."
- After a set of wins in mid-April, Cruz went on a sustained attack against Trump on the basis that he represented "New York values." " “It's the values of the liberal, Democratic politicians that have been hammering the people of New York for a long time.”
- During an Indiana appearance, he criticized Trump for being supported by Mike Tyson. “I’ve got news for Donald Trump: Rapists are not tough guys.”
- At one of the debates, Cruz seemed to question Trump's ability to conduct basic bodily functions. "Donald, please, I know it's hard not to interrupt. Breathe, breathe, breathe. You can do it, breathe, I know it's hard, I know it's hard."
- Cruz famously castigated Trump at a Wisconsin campaign stop to "leave Heidi the hell alone" after the candidate tweeted about Cruz's wife. “Donald, you’re a sniveling coward.”
- Also from that same campaign appearance “Donald Trump will not be the nominee. Donald Trump will not be the nominee.”
No wonder things were awkward on Wednesday.