Alex Gomez is a 36-year-old father of three who took a selfie with a rattlesnake and [spoiler alert!] was bitten by that rattlesnake. This was a dumb move on Gomez's part, and it has made the people who care about him very, very mad. Especially his mom, who has taken her rage to the press.
“I’m shocked that he would have that things around his neck…It could’ve bit his neck, and that would have been it. That’s just being a fool," Gomez's mother, Deborah, told CBS affiliate KCal in Los Angeles.
Deborah added that her son had asked her not talk to the press about his embarrassing, life-threatening photo op. But discretion privileges go out the window when you act like an idiot. Or, in Deborah's words, "No mercy for him.” She added, "I'm gonna teach him a real big lesson when he gets home." There is no wrath like mom wrath.
CBS Los Angeles reports that Gomez found the four-foot rattlesnake by his Lake Elsinore ranch. A relative who was with him at the time said the snake was clearly a rattlesnake, and clearly did not want to be touched: "It had ten rattles on it. It was rattling. It was pretty mad."
A neighbor called the police after Gomez was bitten, and Deborah reports that her son might lose his hand to the wound.
This is, naturally, not the first time someone has tried to take a selfie with a rattlesnake. In July, a San Diego man attempted the feat, nearly died, and racked up a $150,000 medical bill.
So listen up, adult children. Don't pose for photos with rattlesnakes. It could cost you your life, your money, and it will absolutely bring on the wrath of your mom. Deborah, please join this awesome C-Span mom in the mom hall of fame.
Danielle Wiener-Bronner is a news reporter.