Jeffrey Lord, an unabashed bigot and MAGA super fan, was fired from CNN after responding “Sieg Hiel” to an activist’s tweet. CNN described Lord’s nazi salute tweet as “indefensible” and fired him hours after the exchange.
Lord has a history of quarreling with Angelo Carusone, the president of Media Matters For America, whose tweet he responded to with a nazi salute. In a column for the American Spectator earlier this week, Lord attacked Media Matters as “fascist” for encouraging advertisers to drop Sean Hannity’s show on Fox News; Lord tweeted the article at Carusone.
The Media Matters president responded to Lord’s tweet: “Your headline has a mistake in it. Why do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you don’t take yourself seriously.”
And that’s what prompted Lord’s “Seig Heil!” Lord, who worked for President Reagan, said he was merely “mocking Nazis and fascists,” according to CNN’s Brian Setler.
Lord has appeared on CNN since 2015, just after Trump announced his candidacy. And boy has Lord spewed a lot of bullshit that CNN has apparently deemed defensible. Let’s take a walk down memory lane to when:
1. He tried to argue that the Ku Klux Klan murdered black people to “further its progressive agenda.”
2. He told fellow CNN commentator Ana Navarro that she wasn’t Latina, but American.
3. He claimed that “the Left, whether it’s Black Lives Matter or La Raza” encouraged the existence of white nationalist groups citing “identity politics.”
4. He triumphantly declared there were “no people of color in this country, there are only Americans.”
5. He asserted that the Congressional Black Caucus shouldn’t exist because David Duke can’t start a “congressional white caucus.”
6. He described Trump as the “MLK of health care.”
This is hardly a fresh take because there are dozens of examples of this guy being a racist troll before he was fired — but noooo, a white supremacist by implication is simply an eccentric conservative; one must explicitly pronounce their Nazi sympathies to be fired from CNN. A true cautionary tale for budding talking heads who share Lord’s racist ideals: nazi salutes are “indefensible,” but basically anything else is fine. Just fine.