A group of 17 mostly white dude Republican Representatives and a delegate from American Samoa have nominated President Donald Trump for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.
“Since taking office, President Trump has worked tirelessly to apply maximum pressure on North Korea to end its illicit weapons program and bring peace to the region,” reads the letter sent to The Norwegian Nobel Committee.
The effort was lead by a Republican from Indiana, Rep. Luke Messer, who is already claiming that Trump has brought peace to Asia, despite having launched two missile attacks on Syria.
“His Administration successfully united the international community, including China, to impose one of the most successful international sanctions regimes in history. The sanctions have decimated the North Korean economy and have been largely credited for bringing North Korea to the negotiating table,” the letter continues.
“The only reason the North Korean dictator is coming to the table is because President Trump has stared him down and shown him that we have a leader in America who means business and who has changed the dynamic in major ways,” Messer told Fox News. “That’s why I think he has to be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize.”
He continued: “It may be the first time the Nobel Peace Prize was given and there was mass casualties because I think a lot of liberals would kill themselves if they did that.”
Here is the list of people who signed the letter:
- Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina
- Rep. Michael Burgess of Texas
- Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee
- Rep. Kevin Cramer of North Dakota
- Del. Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen of American Samoa
- Rep. Mark Meadows of North Carolina
- Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida
- Rep. Doug LaMalfa of California
- Rep. David McKinley of West Virginia
- Rep. Brian Babin of Texas
- Rep. Diane Black of Tennessee
- Rep. Steve King of Iowa
- Rep. Pete Olson of Texas
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee
- Rep. Jim Renacci of Ohio
- Rep. Evan Jenkins of West Virginia
- Rep. Drew Ferguson of Georgia
The letter is published in its entirety below.