We are only allowed a fleeting, finite amount of time and headspace in this life. I’ve recently begun to feel this even more acutely as I spend more of my waking hours following the news on the internet. What has (occasionally) saved me from teetering over the edge entirely is practicing a kind of mindful ignorance—choosing to fully ignore the news stories I find so dumb, so galling, or so otherwise oppressively boring that I simply cannot force myself to give them more than a passing, disinterested glance.
Here, ripe for your righteous derision, is a partial list of the stories that, for various reasons, I don’t care about today:
- Donald Trump announcing he will impose new tariffs on imported aluminum and steel as soon as next week. Tariffs?? Who’s she!
- Lingering questions about Melania Trump’s immigration credentials. Don’t care!
- Russian President Vladimir Putin testing out something he characterized as “invincible” nuclear weapons. (This one is mostly out of self-preservation.)
- Literally anything the Dow is doing. This one is Evergreen.
- Any friendly, well-wishing profiles lovingly looking back on Hicks’ tenure working for Trump.
What story—not this one, that’s cheating!—do you hate today? Let me know in the comments!