AP/Jeff Roberson

A confirmed officer-involved shooting has taken place in Ferguson, Mo., following a day of peaceful demonstrations commemorating the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Brown.

Prominent Black Lives Matter activist DeRay McKesson and other people on the ground tweeted eyewitness accounts that shots had been fired just after midnight Monday, Aug. 10. As reports of the shooting rolled out, protester Tony Rice (a.k.a., Twitter user @Search4Swag) posted video footage of the crime scene and his subsequent detainment to social media, where it was quickly shared.


Journalist Jon Ziegler reported via livestream that an officer-involved shooting had taken place behind the closed Ponderosa Steakhouse on West Florissant Ave—around the corner from where Michael Brown was shot by white police officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9, 2014, Reuters reports.


The St. Louis County Police Department's official Twitter account confirmed that an officer-involved shooting had taken place. The St. Louis PD said that the officer who fired his weapon had come under "heavy gunfire," and that more details would be released.


The identity of the man who was shot by the officer is not known. Rice, who has been released, says that the victim was alive when the officers placed him in the ambulance.

The shooting of Michael Brown last year, and a grand jury's subsequent decision not to indict Darren Wilson, were two major events that helped elevate the Black Lives Matter movement to the national level. The fact that a similar event might have taken place on the anniversary of Brown's death is deeply upsetting, to say the least.


This is a developing story. We will update as more details become available.

UPDATE, 10:04 a.m.: The man injured in the officer-involved shooting has been identified by his father as 18-year-old Tyrone Harris, Jr., The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Harris got out of surgery at 3 a.m. local time Sunday, his father said.

At a press conference at 2:30 a.m., Chief Jon Belmar said that the initial gunfire on West Florissant Ave was the result of "rival groups" shooting at each other, The New York Times reports. Four officers in an unmarked SUV with lights flashing followed Harris into the Ponderosa parking lot, where Belmar says Harris opened fire on the vehicle. All four officers returned fire, and Harris fell to the ground.


Neither the officers' vehicle nor the officers were equipped with cameras to record the incident, The Guardian reports.

"We think there's a lot more to this than what's being said," Harris, Sr., told the Post-Dispatch.

UPDATE, 2:08 p.m.: Fusion has obtained a statement from the St. Louis County Police Department. The statement says that the county's Prosecuting Attorney's Office has charged Tyrone Harris with four counts of assault on law enforcement in the first degree, five counts of armed criminal action, and one count of discharging or shooting a firearm at a motor vehicle.


The statement says that Harris is in critical condition at a local hospital. He is being held on a $250,000 cash-only bond.

Bad at filling out bios seeks same.