Getty Images

If you've been following the ongoing dumpster fire/train wreck/clown show that is Brexit, you've probably come to the conclusion that the 52 percent of Britain that voted to pull out of the European Union have, to put it mildly, screwed themselves.

They went along with vague financial promises that, shockingly, turned out to be total nonsense. They succumbed to the coarse racism and xenophobia that characterized the fear-mongering "Leave" campaign. And they set off a geopolitical tsunami that has both jeopardized the financial stability of their country, and turned it into a global punchline.


But if 52 percent of the Brexit voters are busy screwing themselves, and everyone else, what are the other distraught and miserable 48 percent supposed to do? Two unnamed people who describe themselves as "ordinary voters" came up with one way to alleviate their distress and (*ahem*) relieve their tension.

It's called "Remainder," and it's a new dating service seeking to temper Britain's post-Brexit hangover by making a love connection between frustrated, EU-supporting singles. "What better way to recover," Remainder asks, "than hooking up with someone who shares your sense of existential dread?"

Remainder's creators say on their site that the app was launched initially as a joke, created "because all the Remain voters we know seemed so depressed":

Our Facebook feeds had turned into a never-ending funeral service. We thought the best way of recovering must be to go out for a few drinks with someone who’s in the same boat. After all ‘a problem shared is a problem halved’ and what we never managed to give Brussels was our British sense of humour.


For a service intended to bring people together, Remainder was dreamed up at a time when Britain is acutely divided. As the Brexit vote showed, the decision to pull out of the EU was one in which older voters were significantly more inclined to leave, while younger ones—those, it should be noted, more likely to use a cheeky dating app—were much more in favor of staying. And, in fact, marital status itself was an indicator in the eventual decision as well. Younger, unmarried urbanites tended toward "remain" while married, more rural-based families skewed toward "leave." Broadly, it's a similar dynamic in many ways to that of the United States, with younger city-dwellers leaning toward the more liberal, globalized end of the political spectrum, while older voters living outside major urban centers tend toward the conservative.

Currently the app itself is in development, with a crowdfunding campaign looking to raise £5,000  to cover testing, hosting, and design. Visitors to the Remainder site, however, can pre-register for the service by giving their name, email, age, gender, and indicating whether they're looking for "Conversation," "Love," "A bit of fun," or "All of the above."


There is also an option for users outside of the U.K. who "want to date or meet Brits"… but not ones who voted to leave the E.U.

While Remainder hasn't disclosed how many people have already registered for a post-Brexit hook-up, they have set their sights on 16,141,241 as a target user goal—the same number of people of cast their votes to remain in the E.U.


So if you're wallowing in a post-Brexit depression, and need a love connection pick-me-up, or if you're thinking about visiting the U.K. and want to help lift the spirits of (and press the flesh with) a despondent Brit, well, you know what to do.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter