Getty Images

The Sherman Park neighborhood of Milwaukee saw another night of protests as demonstrators clashed with police early into Monday morning over the fatal police shooting of a black suspect.

Compared with Saturday night, when several local businesses were burned down, protests on Sunday afternoon and evening were more restrained, including a peaceful vigil at the spot where the slain man, Sylville K. Smith, had died.

TheĀ Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that police began breaking up the protests and ordering people to disperseĀ around 11 p.m. after reports of gunshots and protesters throwing objects at police.


An unidentified 18-year-old man was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound, but additional information on how he sustained the injury was not available. A police officer was also taken to the hospital after a rock broke the windshield of a squad car.


A large group of police officers in riot gear ordered all protesters in the area to disperse and arrested those who refused repeated requests. TheĀ Journal-Sentinel reports that by 1:30 a.m., most of the protests had subsided andĀ a large group of police left the area on a bus.


Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn provided some more information on Smith's death earlier in the day, saying thatĀ the suspect had fled a traffic stop and was armed when the confrontation occurred.

Flynn said that the officer's body camera was activated prior to the chase and did record the shootingĀ and that the footage shows "without question" that the suspect had a gun in his hand, according toĀ The Guardian.


The footage from the camera has not been released to the public as of Monday morning. FlynnĀ said the decision whether or not to release the footage was up to the WisconsinĀ Department of Justice, which is investigating the case, but he hoped to release it soon.

Gov. Scott Walker activated the Wisconsin National Guard on Sunday at the request of Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke. but Mayor Tom Barrett told theĀ Journal-Sentinal thatĀ the Guard would not be deployed unlessĀ the police chief requested their assistance.